This tutorial was designed to be used with an unmanaged chromebook with access to the developer mode.
1. The first thing we need to do is to put the unmanaged chromebook into Developer Mode. To do this follow the following steps
Press "esc + refresh + power" buttons.
When the Exclamation Prompt appears, turn off OS verification by pressing "Ctrl + D".
Let the Chromebook reboot into Developer Mode
2. Log into Chrome account.
3. Download Crouton from http://goo.gl/fd3zc into your Downloads folder.
4. Download the Crouton Extension from http://goo.gl/OVQOEt.
5. Press "Ctrl + Alt + T" to open the terminal.
6. Type the following commands into the terminal:
$ sudo sh ~/Downloads/crouton -t extension -u
The second command will update the crouton extension.
7. Next, run the following command to install Linux lxde running on trusty:
$ sudo sh ~/Downloads/crouton -r trusty -t lxde-desktop,xiwi
$ sudo startlxde
***NOTES***Use the following keys to switch between Linux OS and Chome OS
What would be the "F5" key (Sixth key from the left on top row of chromebook keyboard), will take you back to the Chrome OS, press it again to see both sessions and use the mouse to select one.
Use what would be the "F4" key (Fifth key from the left on top row of chromebook keyboard), to make the linux session go back to full screen once you have switched back to the linux OS session.
To kill the Linux session, simply log off the linux OS as you would on a normal linux install.
IN NO EVENT WILL WE BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES FOR ANY USE OF THIS SITE, OR USE OF ANY OTHER LINKED SITE, OR SOFTWARE, EVEN IF WE ARE ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.